SAFETY TIPS – WHAT YOU CAN DO TO PREVENT PACKAGE THEFT
Holiday Time is the high season for mail-ordered packages, and the bandits out there know that as well. Here are some measures you can take to avoid package theft:
• Request a signature confirmation of delivery. By doing this, the deliverer will have to wait until you’re available or deliver the package to a neighbor.
• Insure valuable items.
• Recruit Your Neighbors to Help – and Help Your Neighbors. Encourage your neighbors to watch for deliveries and agree to secure each other’s packages. This includes being watchful for any stranger who is going onto porches for no apparent reason or following delivery trucks. Neighborhood Watch is a great way to accomplish this – Here’s more about joining Neighborhood Watch in San Mateo: http://www.cityofsanmateo.org/index.aspx?nid=675
• Delivery to a Safe Place. If you have an understanding boss, have your packages delivered to you at work.
• Track packages online to see exactly when they’re sent to your house for delivery. Many companies officer a text notification to your cell phone when a package has been delivered.
• Leave special instructions for where to deliver the packages. A good place is on the side or back of the house, so that the package is out of sight from the road.
Be Our “Extra Eyes and Ears”!
IF YOU SEE SOMETHING, SAY SOMETHING – If you see ANY in-progress crime or suspicious activity, please contact the police department immediately via 911.
SMPD Dispatch Non-Emergency Number – 650-522-7700